Diet and exercise are the foundations of overall wellness. Considering our new normal plays out in the middle of a pandemic, getting started or continuing on a health journey can be challenging. In our two-part blog series, “A Healthier You,” we begin with eating well and how to be successful in your weight loss journey.
Why Eating Well is Important
Sometimes it helps to find out why it’s essential to do something. From there, it may be easier to make the right choices knowing the benefits it brings. Here are some reminders of why eating healthy is an integral part of being healthier:
- Weight loss: Get to a healthier weight or maintain one.
- Healthy heart: Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the U.S. Eating healthy is one of the top lifestyle changes you can do to keep your heart healthy.
- Mood and energy: Eating a well-balanced diet can improve mood and helps you feel more energized. Your body functions better when it is getting all the nutrients it needs.
Simple Starts to Eating Well
If you’re working from home, you may struggle with boredom and graze all day. Others who work in the office may struggle with finding time for preparing meals that are quick and healthy, and may end up grabbing something through a drive-thru. Whether you’re beginning your journey or getting back on track, here are some simple options to consider.
- Pack lunch once a week to control portion sizes and healthy options.
- Many nuts have a lot of nutrients and healthy fats:
- Almonds, cashews, filberts, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, and pistachios.
- Eat five or more fruits and veggies a day. When you start, count how many you typically include, then add more till you get there. Avoid food and drinks high in sugar.
- Plan options that you can look forward to and savor. Start with looking into healthier versions of some of your guilty favorites.
Weight Loss Clinic
Diabetes and Glandular Disease (DGD) Weight Loss Clinic is designed to treat patients with metabolic syndrome. Our program is evidence-based and nutritionally sound, utilizing revolutionary state-of-the-art tools and technologies proven to drive results and promote lifestyle modifications.
To schedule an appointment with our weight loss clinic, request an appointment online or call (210) 614-8612 option 7 or extension 1510.