Dr. Ameer Khowaja
Dr. Ameer A. Khowaja, M.D., C.C.D.
Dr. Ameer Khowaja is a Board-Certified Endocrinologist, specializing in diseases of the Endocrine system, including Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, obesity, thyroid disease and thyroid cancer, pituitary and adrenal disease, osteoporosis, PCOS and other hormonal disorders. Born in Hyderabad, Pakistan, he received his medical degrees in Medicine and Surgery in Karachi in 2006. His Residency in Internal Medicine was completed IN 2012, at the Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis, MN and his Fellowship in 2014, at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN.
A new Texas resident, Dr. Khowaja comes to DGD Clinic highly regarded by his peers in Minneapolis, where he was named a Top Doctor in the Minnesota Monthly Magazine in 2017. He is a member of several esteemed professional organizations, including The Endocrine Society, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE), the American Diabetes Association (ADA.) and is certified in Clinical Densitometry. He is a published author, being first author, and co-author in several prestigious medical journals. Dr Khowaja is also actively involved in the field of Endocrine Research as a Principal Investigator and Co-Principal Investigator in diabetes, osteoporosis, and hormonal studies. Outside of work, Dr. Khowaja enjoys reading books, spending time with his family, and participating in community and voluntary healthcare activities, as well as non-healthcare related projects.
- Fellowship in Endocrinology & Metabolism – University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN. 2012 to 2014
- Residency in Internal Medicine – Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN. 2009 to 2012.
- Internship in Family & General Medicine, Neuromedicine, Oncology, Emergency Medicine – Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan, 2007 to 2008.
- Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery – Aga Khan University Medical College, Karachi, Pakistan, 2001 to 2006
- Texas Medical License – 2018 to present
- Minnesota Medical License – 2016 to 2019
- Fellow Diabetes, Metabolism and Endocrinology
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (ACCE)
- American Board of Medical Specialties – Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- Certified Clinical Densitometrist, International Society for Clinical Densitometry
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus, Minneapolis MN (2014 to 2018)
- Member, Abstract Review Committee, Endocrine Society Meeting 03/2018
- Member, Data Safety and Monitoring Board (DSMB) for SIRTA-500 Study, Severe Insulin Resistance Treatment Approaches with U-500 Regular Insulin, Dept of Metabolism and Endocrinology, Minneapolis, MN VA Healthcare System (2016–2018)
- Staff Physician, Dept of Internal Medicine, Division Endocrinology, Hennepin Healthcare System, Minneapolis, MN (2014 – 2018)
- Staff Physician, Dept of Internal Medicine, Bone, and Mineral Metabolism Clinic, Hennepin Healthcare System, Minneapolis, MN (2014 – 2018)
- Institutional Radiation Safety Committee, Hennepin Healthcare System, Minneapolis, MN (2017– 2018)
- 2019 to present – Diabetes & Glandular Disease Clinic, P.A. 5107 Medical Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78229
- 2014 to 2019 – Hennepin Healthcare System 701 Park Ave., Minneapolis, MN 55415
- 2012 to 2014 – Endocrine Fellowship, University of Minnesota 231 Pillsbury Drive SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
- Thiyagarajan T, Johnson-Rabbett B, Magar RR, Khowajha A. Case Report: Severe Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome with Multi-organ Failure Following Zoledronic Acid Infusion. AACE Clinical Case Reports. In-press
- Oz, G, DiNuzzo M, Kumar A, Moheet A, Khowaja A, Kubisiak K, Eberly LE, Seaquist ER. Cerebral Glycogen in Humans Following Acute and Recurrent Hypoglycemia: Implications on a Role in Hypoglycemia. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2017; (8):2883-2893.
- Alkhaddo JB, Khowaja A, Saeed S, Cotter K, Rivard C, Geller MA, Dickson EL, Weight CJ, Redmon R. A 78-year-old Infertile Man Presented with Sepsis and Abdominal and Pelvic Masses, A Rare Case of Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. AACE Clinical Case Reports. 2016:2:e129-e132.
- Khowaja A, Choi IY, Seaquist ER, Oz G. In Vivo Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy of Cerebral Glycogen Metabolism in Animals and Humans. Metab Brain Dis. 2015; 30 (1):255-261
- Khowaja A, Thangavelu T, Magar R, Niaz W. Predictability of Diabetes Mellitus Type 32 Remission and Changes in Metabolic Profile After Bariatric Surgery using Diarem Scoring System. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologist Scientific Meeting, San Antonio, Texas May 2017.
- Magar RR, Khowaja A. A Case of Severe Acute Phase Reaction to Intravenous Zoledronic Acid Infusion in a Patient with Osteoporosis. Endocrine Society Scientific Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, April 2016.
- Rana Z, Khowaja A. Epidemiologic Study of Seronegative Diffuse Hyperthyroidism Among Different Ethnic Groups in Minnesota. Endocrine Society’s 98th Scientific Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, April 2016.
- Alkhaddo JB, Fish L, Khowaja A. Inpatient Diabetes on Corticosteroids Study. American Diabetes Association, June 7, 2015.